Tuesday, August 28, 2007

At least she is pretty!

My husband works in the farming industry. He came home one day telling me the story that a mama Killdeer had built her nest in their lot. A Killdeer is a ground nesting bird. He was telling me about how she had put her eggs in a little indentation in the middle of their gravel lot. Where tons of trucks, and various farm equipment drive through daily. He said if any of the guys got too close to her nest, she would drop a wing, pretend she was injured, and try to lead them away from the nest, as Killdeers are known to do. What did these burly Menly-Men do to help remedy the situation? They put up bright orange caution cones around the nest to protect her. The story fascinated me, and I wanted him to take me to the plant so I could see this nest.


We loaded up into the mini-van (yes, God forgive me, I drove a Mini-Van), and he takes us to the plant. As we were pulling into the parking lot, we were talking about the bird. Our daughter says something about seeing a bunny in the lot. Okay, we continue talking about the bird and how they make their nest on the ground, how they fake injury to draw predators away from their nest, yadda yadda yadda. We wanted to give them a quick nature lesson.


I get out first and go look at the nest. It was just a little dip in the gravel, and sitting neatly in the center were these perfect little eggs. They looked just like little spotted rocks. WOW! I go to the van and ask the kids if they would like to get out and go look at the eggs too, when our precious little girl says "YES, I've never seen bunny eggs before!!!" God love her, she was so fascinated with the bunny she had seen earlier, that she totally forgot that we were initially talking about a bird.


The good news is, at least she is pretty!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love this story...and laugh really hard every time i hear it. i laughed out loud when i read it and i'm sittin in a really quiet area in the atrium and everyone looked at me...i wanted to say, "well, you'd laugh too if you heard about bunny eggs," but then i thought better, and thought everyone might think i'm a little more crazy then they already did.=)